Can't Install an Antivirus Because of a Virus?
-Last updated Friday, February 13, 2013
If you're reading this, I assume you're stuck with a pesky virus that won't allow you to install any antiviral software. This happened to me once. I didn't have an antivirus installed on my machine (which was a stupid idea) and got infected. As soon as I realized there was a virus on my computer, I tried to get rid of it. Now the problem was: the virus would block me from installing anything, especially antiviruses. I was on the verge of reformatting my entire computer when I came across a program that would quickly become my favourite weapon against malicious software.
Behold: Malwarebytes Chameleon!
Malwarebytes have created this awesome little (free) tool they call Chameleon. It is a program which installs Malwarebytes without the virus knowing it! Then, all you need to do is run Malwarebytes to get rid of the virus. To do so, follow the steps below:
- First thing you need to do is download Chameleon on a clean pc! You need a clean computer because an infected one will most likely block the website. Download it from here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/chameleon/
- Once this is done, extract Chameleon to a USB thumb drive or other portable media.
- Plug this drive into the infected computer, and open it:
- Next, you need to click on mbam-chameleon.exe. This will start the installer; press any key when prompted to. The installer will now download the required files and proceed with the installation, unbeknownst to the virus:
Once the installation is finished, Malwarebytes will launch and perform an automatic scan of your system. It should be able to find and remove the malicious software.
- If this doesn't work, I recommend you reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows. Whatever you do, you don't want to be using an infected computer!
I hope that by following these instructions you were able to get rid of the virus that was plaguing your computer. Once it is clean, make sure you have an antivirus running at all times (even the free ones do the job).
Just a small side note: If you can't get rid of the virus and are stuck reformatting Windows, be very careful of what you back up! I know quite a few people who were stuck reformatting a second time because they had copied the virus with their files!